T

The Human Stain

Google

Thursday, May 04, 2006

Dissing America Again

Apparently Bush cannot remember any of his iron-clad guarantees to American citizens in distress. Amid much fan-fare and a carefully staged media event, he assured residents of the ravaged New Orleans area that:

“Throughout the area hit by the hurricane, we will do what it takes, we will stay as long as it takes, to help citizens rebuild their communities and their lives.”

Today, nearly eight months later, “Housing remains in very short supply, only a handful of public schools have reopened and many neighborhoods resemble ghost towns.” But according to WWL-TV, FEMA is choosing to abandon New Orleans anyway:

The response of the federal government to this disaster is beyond reprehensible and an eyewitness report by sportswriter Peter King really sums us the despicable treatment CITIZENS of this country get from the Republican pukes in Washington:

I sense that we in this country have Katrina fatigue. The New York Times reported as much recently, saying that people in some of the areas that welcomed Katrina evacuees last September are sick of hearing about the hurricane, the flooding and the aftermath.

Well, my wife and I were in a car last Wednesday that toured the hardest-hit area of New Orleans, the Lower Ninth Ward. We worked a day at a nearby Habitat for Humanity site on Thursday, and we toured the Biloxi/Gulfport/Long Beach/Pass Christian gulf shore area last Friday. And let me just say this: I can absolutely guarantee you that if you'd been in the car with us, no matter how much you'd been hit over the head with the effects of this disaster, you would not have Katrina fatigue.

What I saw was a national disgrace. An inexcusable, irresponsible, borderline criminal national disgrace. I am ashamed of this country for the inaction I saw everywhere.

I mentioned my outrage to the mayor of New Orleans, Ray Nagin, on Thursday. He shook his head and said, "Tell me about it.'' Disgust dripped from his voice.

"It's been eight months since Katrina,'' said Jack Bowers, my New Jersey friend and Habitat for Humanity guide through the Lower Ninth Ward, as he took us through deserted streets where nothing, absolutely nothing, was being done about the wasteland that this place is.

Am I ticked off? Damn right I'm ticked off. If you're breathing, you should be morally outraged. Katrina fatigue? Hah! More Katrina news! Give me more! Give it to me every day on the front page! Every day until Washington realizes there's a disaster here every bit as urgent as anything happening in this world today -- fighting terrorism, combating the nuclear threat in Iran. I'm not in any way a political animal, but all you have to be is an occasionally thinking American to be sickened by the conditions I saw.

Posted on The Human Stain

2 Comments:

  • They aren't leaving- you got the story wrong. Check your facts.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/05/2006 6:24 AM  

  • I checked. See the following links.
    http://www.wwltv.com/local/stories/
    wwl050206jbfemaoffice.22cb1f6.html
    http://news.google.com/news/url?sa=t&
    ct=us/1-2&fp=445b84139d696b63&ei
    =MH1bRLShOK7cadi0nO0E&url=http%3A/
    /www.bayoubuzz.com/articles.
    aspx%3Faid%3D6954&cid=1106210961
    http://news.google.com/news/url?sa=
    t&ct=us/1-1&fp=445b84139d696b63&ei=
    MH1bRLShOK7cadi0nO0E&url=http%3A//
    www.nola.com/news/t-p/neworleans/
    index.ssf%3F/base/news-5/
    1146729008321760.xml&cid=1106210961

    By Blogger James Roberts, at 5/05/2006 6:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home